Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Kris Kringle Part II


This is what I received in my Kris Kringle, and I am hoping someone out there in blog land can help me out as there was no information about it at all and I have no way of knowing whose gift this was (there were over 100 ladies taking part). 


So obviously it is a bag.  However I don't think it started off life as a bag, I suspect it was possible a prayer shawl/scarf but I am really not sure.  The handles on it are quite long and are about 6" wide at a guess, they go right down forming the sides of the bag, then a center panel is sewn between them to make the bag front/back, this centre panel is the same width as the handles.  There are little tassel segments sewn onto the bottom of the bag, and longer threads the length of the bag come from the top.  The flowers are hand embroidered, not woven in to the fabric, and the entire bag construction (hem, side seams, etc) appears to have been done by hand using decorative stitches.







I would love to know more about it if anyone has any ideas!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Susan, I am not able to help you out with what it was originally or from whom it came, but I do think it is very pretty and someone took a lot of time to stitch the embroidery and bag by hand! If the straps are too long, perhaps you can tie a knot in the top to shorten it? Hope you find out more about it!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a Karen bag from Burma. The Karen are an ethnic minority of Burma. I worked with Karen refugees last year and it looks exactly like the kinds of bags they weave.

    ReplyDelete